Friday, April 1, 2011

Some new clay birds

Using the molds I made (explained in an earlier posting), these are cast in paperclay.  Was less than successful with the birds done before, as two of them developed cracks in the electric kiln glaze fire--something that never happened when I had access to a gas kiln.  After reading up a bit, I decided to try paperclay because the carving takes too much time to risk cracking, and I just don't know enough about the electric kiln yet. 
 
The paperclay was workable, but was riddled with mold throughout by the time I got around to pressing it into the molds.  The black mold in the white clay body made it harder for me to carve, only because the marbled coloring got in the way of my ability to see the detail clearly. But I like these guys nonetheless. They're stained now, and will have some glazes applied before the glaze fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...