Sunday, July 24, 2011

Hornbill painting progression cont'd

This is the next step in the progression of the Hornbill watercolor. As I mentioned in a previous post, it’s being painted on Crescent watercolor board, so it looks a bit different from my other recent watercolors.


My idea for this painting came from seeing a Hornbill at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo this past spring. The pic I took of it with my phone was terrible so these resources are from a book. But I really love Hornbills--they seem very intelligent, and have a crabby affect.

I most often use watercolor and acrylic, and in combination once in awhile. Sometimes ink, and sometimes collage, too.

I look at my work and see quite a bit of diversity, and tend to worry about that.  And the other day it dawned on me that the variations are all about the surface I happen to choose.

That is probably obvious to most artists, but I am a pretty slow study, especially about analyzing my art. Guess it’s because talking about my work or thinking about it after it is complete isn’t something I do often (or with much comfort).

Usually I grab whatever paper or board or panel that happens to catch my eye. Then I draw on it or brush in an outline. And then the pic falls into place. Or not. And then it’s finished and on to the next.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...