Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ghosts and AB Frost


These little sketches continue my exploration of little ghost guys.
Ghosts and such are pretty interesting to me--not the TV show kind with quaking cameras and little exclamations in dark hallways where nothing happens for an hour except commercial breaks--but the good stories (especially Victorian ghost tales) and spirit lore out there.  

AB Frost illustrated some goofy poems about ghosts by Lewis Carroll in the 1880s. A great discovery for me-- I really get a charge out of studying his drawings. I had pretty much ignored Frost's work before, because I'm not a "sporting picture" fan.  Seeing his illustrations for the Carroll poems made me realize how a good artist's work often reaches genius when working with great text, or is stimulated by a great mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...