Sunday, October 16, 2011

Painting sequence for a new work

 A couple pages from my sketchbook.  I chose the birds in the upper left side for the subject of the painting.

 The preliminary composition sketch
(with an extra bird). I used Prismacolor pencils in the colors (sort of) from the mountainside (in the previous post).

 This is the largest (serious) painting I've done since high school (it's 12" x 30"). I very much like small pics, and always resented the idea that paintings have to be big to be legit.  On the other hand, some walls are big, and I don't always need to stay comfortable.
Obviously, the first step was coating the canvas with Cadmium Red, then painting the birds in with black.

 I roughed in "shadows" with light blue, and added a sea green sky as an underpainting.

 The warm oranges and yellows were next, and I warmed the sky with some glaze layers of yellow, to bring it up to the chartreuse of the just-turning leaves.

Kind of hard to tell in this photo (sorry!) but I added the red-violets I saw in the mountain rocks.  Softened the sky and mountain with some glazes of white, then some ochre glaze over that. Last, a pure turquoise eye for the big momma bird.  The painting needs more layers of glazes, and my signature. 

I will post some details of the finished painting next.
Thanks for visiting!


  1. I'm way behind in my blog reading so you may have already posted the completed painting but I just have to say I'm loving it so far!

  2. I'm glad you like it Ruca. The painting is resting, and I'm watching it for signs of what I should do next :)

  3. I love the 'The preliminary composition sketch' best !! : )


  4. I liked it too, Kat. Unfortunately, I spilled varnish onto it and the prismacolor smeared. Isn't that the way it always goes :))


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...