Saturday, January 14, 2012

Serenade at the Gate; Part I

 Serenade at the Gate (detail). Acrylic on canvas, 12" x 30", private collection.
Would I like to be able to play an instrument, sing, or both?  Yes.

 A new music-subject painting. It's not done, but I need to let it rest for awhile and then return to it. I get a kick out of all those weird prints of musicians that were ubiquitous in houses during the 60's.  They usually featured kids with creepily large eyes--kitschy, but well painted nonetheless. This is my version. It is not a scene from Pinocchio either, but the figure is definitely a variation of that little puppet shown at the end of this post.

 The preliminary sketch.

The inspiration.

This antique Pinocchio was given to me by a friend who knows how much I love the little guy.
I liked the Disney film version as a kid.  It was up there among my favorite animated movies, mostly for the atmospheric background paintings and the soundtrack.

But the real deal is the original book by Collodi. It is perfect for kids too--dark, violent, and multi-layered--like true children's lit should be.  If you haven't read it, you'll be doing yourself a favor if it's next on your list. I'd be glad to know what you think.

And, as always, thanks for checking this out.
I'll post the complete, finished painting--assuming it is done--next time.

5 comments:

  1. I love the painting! It was cool seeing the preliminary drawing, as well. I am always interested in seeing the process of other artists. I enjoy the fact that we all have different paths to get to our completed work. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment--I am glad to hear you like this. I always seem to find the process of artists fascinating too, and wish museums and galleries would exhibit process/prelims along with finished works more often

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your observations about what true kid-lit should be! Wonderful painting, too--the colors are amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth-I think I'm gonna need your input on this--once again I'm afraid it disappears at a distance.
    Elizabeth-Thank you for your comment on the painting and color. It is (like always) an experiment in a different color scheme. Btw, I really like your profile pic!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...