Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Not-Quite-Symmetry and Face Fixation

 This detail is from an oil done almost a decade ago. Looking through pics of my old work tends to jump-start my creativity, I guess by reminding me of my many fixations. In this case there are three moon faces (sorry, those on the gold coins are not easy to see) plus the two profiles. (Please check out previous post: http://tomsarmo.blogspot.com/2012/02/clock-and-face-mania.html)

The Headache Remedy Discussion (complete painting). Oil on panel, 8" x 10", private collection.
This painting reminded me of my consistent revisiting of symmetry (or near-symmetry). For me and lots of people, perfect symmetry sometimes equals death-provoking boredom, but with the addition of slight variations within the symmetrical design, the boredom vanishes and pure excitement ensues.

There are too many influences to mention here, but the primary was the book below--full of Maurice Sendak's set design prelims for the Nutcracker ballet:


The book is out of print now, but if you can grab hold of a copy you will not regret it. It is a phenomenal work, and filled with playful and still-fresh designs. 
Sendak is the Master.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...