Saturday, February 18, 2012

Sketches and Sir Barrie--A Stuffed Guy

 Had no business doing it, but I goofed off quite a bit last week, sketching and slopping up my sketchbook with watercolor. This medieval fellow marks an attempt at a return to the type of art I used to do all the time. But you really can't go home again, as they say.

 Back in the day, when I was heavily influenced by the old masters of illustration--Edmund Dulac and Heath Robinson to name a few; and contemporary masters-- Alan Lee and Brian Froud  for certain, 
my sketchbook was filled with careful sketches of little fellows like the one above--mostly dressed in medieval clothing. A great link to images by the first three aforementioned artists is
http://www.bpib.com/index.html Just click on "Illustrators" at the top of that page. Brian Froud's work can be seen at http://www.worldoffroud.com

 Nowadays, my sketching is much less careful, and much simplified. This pencil sketch came from the messy one at the top of this post, and was a prelim for the stuffed goblin-fellow below.

 Sir Barrie.  Mixed media on cloth (in this case, acrylic, muslin, cotton print cloth, and embroidery thread), approx. 3" x 12".

All this playing around is really just my way of relaxing before hitting the studio for some new painting commissions and an upcoming show. More about all that later, as I am very excited to share the details.

Until then, as always, thanks for the interest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...