Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Young Saint Francis

 Saint Francis is usually shown as an older fellow with a short but full beard, but I get very weary of the standard Holy Card images of saints. This face appeared in some of my sketchbook drawings of Saint Francis, so I went with it for the latest painting. I used red as the main under-painting, and a fairly pure blue for shadows. It's hard to see in this photo, but he does have a very faint stubble-beard.

 Young Saint Francis. Acrylic on cradled wood panel, 6" x 18", private collection. This painting was completed to be part of Magis Night's 2012 fundraising auction for Arrupe Jesuit High School.

I've wanted unconventional, lively color and textural brush strokes for my recent paintings of Saint Francis of Assisi, because he seems to have been an unconventional, colorful, and lively individual. In this case I shot for a very fresh, quick-sketched look at the bottom and outsides of the painting, resolving into a slightly more detailed--but still loosely painted--face. Had a lot of fun with this painting, and hope the enjoyment shows.

Thank you for checking this out. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...