Saturday, June 30, 2012

A Little Ba

Ba sketch. Watercolor, approx. 3" x 3".
Ancient Egyptians believed the Ba was the uniqueness or personality of the individual and, similar to the Western concept of a soul, lived on after the body died.  It's often depicted as a bird with a human head. 
Lots of artists seem to be exploring that concept in their art lately. This is my version, done a few years ago, inspired by a sculpture I'd seen.

I'm not a consciously concept-driven artist at all.  I draw and paint in the immediacy of the moment, so whatever is coming out in the work must be deep in my unconscious.  I suppose it could be fun for some to speculate on why an artist created a specific image. I think though, that my personal "meaning" within an artwork is irrelevant to the viewer; art is what it is, signifying something to me that's probably very different to the viewer. That's as it should be.
 
Too much explanation ruins it, probably why I failed miserably at critiques in school.
 
Anyway, thanks for reading!
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...