Saturday, July 21, 2012

Literature and Art (and a great teacher)

Science Fiction.
Sometimes a previous artwork provides the spark for a new one--in this case the earlier work was a stuffed robot, and the new piece is a watercolor ACEO.

Radius (Mobile Incarceration Unit #4). Watercolor and ink.

Goofing around and spending a pleasant afternoon in the cool studio resulted in this little guy. Our (inverted) tea kettle became his head, and my limited recollection of Boba Fett--from Star Wars-- provided the inspiration for his harpoon. His tiny prisoner could be everyman, I guess.

I've never thought of myself as a comic artist, even though I admire many of their over-the-top talents greatly. With a background in illustration, I use (and love) a lot of black in my work. I had a good time messing with the black and yellow pieces that became the background.

Primus. Acrylic on muslin (attached to a remnant and stuffed). 
Approx. 3" x 3" x 5". Private collection.

I made this little soft sculpture last spring--I know he bears no resemblance to Radius, but he was the stimulus nonetheless.

And Karel Capek's play, R.U.R., provided the names and inspiration for both.
Back in 10th grade I was lucky enough to have a great class--Science Fiction Lit--taught by an inspired and enthusiastic teacher. 
He had us reading many disturbing works; like Bradbury's Farenheit 451, Clarke's Childhood's End, and R.U.R.--literature that really captured (and terrified) me. Of course, a master teacher presenting the subject was more than half of the enjoyment, and made for a lot of learning.
(Thanks, Mr. Atchison!)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...