Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Saint Francis of Assisi, Informal

 Saint Francis of Assisi (detail). Mixed media on wood, 4" x 6". Private collection.

 The muse visited in the middle of the night last week. It was more like a dream, but when the idea for a set of these washed into my brain, I was able to remember it. 
They seem very fresh to me and their lack of polish tempts me to keep them for myself.

 Saint Francis Traveling (detail). Mixed media on wood, 4" x 6". Private collection.

 Strange how creating goes--one minute I feel completely disinterested in making a finished artwork, the next I'm working away as though my life depended on it.  Well, I suppose in a way it does--without being able to make something, my life--or at least my spirit--would languish.

 Saint Francis and the Ravens (detail). Mixed media on wood, 5" x 7". Private collection.

I like the traditional images of the saints, but I love unconventional approaches to those images.
New Mexican retablos, Italian holy cards, and19th century book illustration provided at least some of the impetus for creating these pieces.

I used subtly different approaches for each--some have more paint than others, and certainly all three own different visages and moods. Not something I worry about ever--the work is coming from somewhere deep inside and probably far without, and I just take it for what it is.

As always, I appreciate your visit.
Peace and all good be with you!

2 comments:

  1. Surely St. Francis and the Ravens speaks to me...humble,bedraggled and poor of possession, but not of the spirit! I've always loved St. Francis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Miss Gladys! Nice to know we three are kindred souls =]

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...