Friday, July 13, 2012

San Pasqual

St. Pasquale. Acrylic on cradled hardboard, 6" x 12".

Nerves.
Doing a painting demo can be exhilarating sometimes, and once in awhile it can be intimidating. Depends on the place my head is. Last weekend it was the latter. A few nights before the demo I prepped some boards and did a few sketches. Nothing seemed to hit the mark, so on Saturday I just took along a board and hoped for some inspiration. 
But I felt terrible.

 Out on the sidewalk, I threw out a few prelims, based on my memory of a painting (below) that I'd done previously. (Obviously was not feeling incredibly confident about the day, so I was reaching for the familiar.)

 Cooking Dinner. Acrylic on canvas, 6" x 12".
This was a goofball pic done on a black-primed canvas. I was experimenting at the time, but really loved this when it was finished. Since it has a nice homey feel, I thought it'd be good to put San Pasqual into a similar-feeling scene.

This detail shows that the new hardboard was primed with red. The painting went fairly smoothly, but the jitters made me screw up the initial head totally--I'd gotten it all anatomically correct, which looked just plain ridiculous on this body, and it was way too big! 
Wish I'd thought to photograph that aberration, as it was really something--but you'll just have to trust me on that--it's amazing what a case of nerves can do.

Back in the studio, I completely re-painted the head--this time making San Pasqual look like an Italian (He's got my Grandpa's nose).
So now I'm a happy guy, and the process gave me some ideas about a new bunch of pics of Saint Francis. I'll be posting a few of them soon.

In the meantime, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...