Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sketch Journal Class

 Had a really nice time last Saturday, as I had the opportunity to teach a sketch journal class for Fresh City Life at the Denver Public Library http://denverlibrary.org/content/craft-services-diy 
Originally, I envisioned the class as a sketch journal springboard, but somehow it sort of morphed into an altered-book, "smash journal" offering. While I don't consider myself an altered book artist, I do work on one from time to time, so I took it along (that's the cover, above. And yeah, it's falling apart).

 Above is a page from my one-and-only altered book--made from an encyclopedia given to me by Ruth Fiege.  I'm really a basic sketchbook person--pretty much use a sketchbook all the time for fun and idea formation, so I felt a bit of a fraud teaching a "smash journal" class.  Luckily, Ruth loaned me some of her amazing altered books--which are primo-examples--so I had a few really professional ones for the class to look through.
(Check out her blog at:

 I use my altered book for goofing around and trying out different media on the book pages.  I like the experience because I can get sloppy in a slightly larger format than my usual mini-sketchbooks. And because it contains more dumb pictures than my other sketchbooks, I don't have any fears of ruining it. 
But do I like the mess, glued-up fingers, and the snippings of paper everywhere? No!

 There were 32 enthusiastic people who attended the class, and they listened to me talk about how and why I use a sketch journal.  They each received a sketchbook and all of them got a start on smashing things into them.
I got quite a few tips from the folks who attended, too--always a nice perk to teaching.

So if you were there--thanks! Hope you had as much fun as I did.

2 comments:

  1. This is my first introduction to a smash journal, so I had to look it up. It's kind of like a scrapbook -- I past lots of things in my journal, but my portable journal is just for writing and sketching. It's fun to see all the different ways we can make a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was mine too, Joy--I had never heard of the term before! If you haven't seen it, check out An Illustrated Life, by Danny Gregory. It's by far my favorite book on sketch journals

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...