Saturday, August 18, 2012

I Hate Rules in Art, Revisited

 The Summer House. Acrylic on canvas, 6" x 18" x 1 1/2".

I don't really hate art rules. I just don't like it when artists tell me that only certain ways of making art are legit. Or hinting that only certain and specific rule-following creates art that's worthy of the big fat art history volume.


Obviously, I let it get to me sometimes.  But not always.  I let it get to me back in March of this year

And I let it get to me again a few weeks ago. Dang it!

Probably this is just the fear/anxiety within those artists that their own work isn't good enough.
And the fear/anxiety within me that my work isn't good enough.

Today I'm in a good place, and I'm thinking "Good enough for what--some faceless critic?"

I had a great time throwing this painting down and I like it a lot.
 I don't really paint or draw for the history books, money, or reputation. Now I'd be a liar if I said I didn't think about all that once in awhile, but really, it's all about intent.  And my intention every day is to enjoy making the art that I want to make.

Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. Hurrah! If your mind is full of joy and wonder, then your work is truly wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MMH--I want my art to continue to improve and I enjoy learning more always. But without the angst. Is a possibility? Good cheer and best wishes to you :)

      Delete
  2. We are all so grateful that you hate rules. Your work is lively and wonderful. I think that your work has been commissioned by a church speaks volumes for your skill and artfulness. Half the art in those big fat volumes are sacred works. Don't let the bastards grind you down -- and if they do, paint something wonderful about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--thanks Joy! I do appreciate the comment and the compliments. They won't grind me down--I bought a thicker skin :)

      Delete
  3. Cool painting! I really like the choice of colors and how it kind of radiates in its contrast but also kind of has a relaxed country feel because of the subject matter. I'm confused by the words though. Did you break an art rule? Sorry if I'm. Ignorant or something but I don't see a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Marshall. This is just a think-out-loud post fueled by a series of conversations that I shouldn't have gotten into. I have to be careful who I talk art with :)
      Thanks--Glad you like the painting!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...