Monday, January 21, 2013

Art Resources: Books vs the Internet

Yes, still hacking away at new color stuff, but gave in this morning and took a book break.

The studio at 8 am.
  
I like books best for resources and inspiration--they fill more than four bookcases around the house--three of which are stuffed into the small studio where I paint. That collection might seem excessive to some, but I turn to it every day. Yeah, I have a computer downstairs; definitely use it for an instant resource or answer, and have thought hard about a laptop for the studio, just as a convenience. But nothing seems to replace the information from my books.

Best of all, when my head is crazy with art/internet/business, or is overwhelmed by a new experiment in painting, grabbing a book, my chair, and a cup of coffee guarantees total peace. I never get that from a screen.

I suppose my reliance on (and love of) books dates me fairly, but does anyone else prefer books 
over the web for art resources?

3 comments:

  1. About half and half for information. 100% for renewal, relaxation and exploring new paths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do. I can return to a book dozens of times and find new inspiration. Searching a subject, staring at a screen and trying to remember what I saw and where I saw it takes up precious time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books most definitely. They are portable and don't need a power source. You have a more tactile relationship with something you can hold over and over again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...