Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Painting with Grey


 Spring Run-Off on the Eagle (detail).

Continuing the exploration of greys and color gamuts resulted in this new work. Sorry, my fascination with process may not be shared by everyone, but the method/progression follows:

 First, I chose this photo, snapped with my pathetic cell phone during a heavy spring snowmelt. 

Next, I chose the initial gamut range, using the Yurmby wheel. 
I was curious as to whether my beloved, heavy black line could be used with uncustomary (for me) greys and still be pleasing. Was also interested in plumbing the depths of somber--if I was going to do grey, I wanted to do it to the hilt.

Above is my first stab at the composition. Ugh--shoulda done a preliminary sketch. Foolishly got sucked into replicating the photo. That seems to happen when I'm not having fun or unsure of the process. That day it was both.

I backed up--a preliminary sketch is often a good idea. 
This was a composition I could have some fun with.


Spring Run-off on the Eagle. Acrylic on board, 10" x 8".
The final work--something very different, but still feels like me for the most part.
The journey with greys and gamuts will continue in future posts.
 Thanks for letting me think out loud, and thanks for the visit!


















2 comments:

  1. Ah, this is very successful I think. The muted colour palette a very different tangent, yet still distinctly you, I agree. Rather haunting and thought provoking... Look forward to more in this vein :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your feedback, MMH. Definitely helps to know it's struck a chord--thanks! Good old gloom, haha

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...