Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Copying to Learn: Hands by Some Greats

The Old Woman Who Lives Under a Hill (detail) by Arthur Rackham

I sincerely appreciate email inquiries, and this past year a few have included questions about my method of practice/learning. That has always included the study and purposeful copying of other artist's works, so most of my sketchbooks contain lots of copying.

Drawing hands from life is great (I guess), but I'm an impatient sort, and have found quicker improvement in my own work from copying the art of the greats.
This post features a peek into my "hands file"--a collection of hands drawn by artists I most admire and learn from; people whose hands are clear, expressive, and satisfy my creative investigations. Arthur Rackham (above and below) tops the list.

 Arthur Rackham

Edmund Dulac

Harry Clarke


Two of the most beautiful ever drawn, by Dante Gabriel Rossetti


Two by Norman Rockwell

Maxfield Parrish

 Lisbeth Zwerger

 J.C. Leyendecker

Albert Dorne

Trina Schart Hyman

I hope you will check out the paintings and drawings of all these incredible artists--some of the best teachers I continue to learn from.

 More teachers--part of my learning library.

Hope this was informative.  
Thanks, as always, for checking out my blog!











2 comments:

  1. This is the second post I've read this week on the value of copying so I've started copying again. I love that you have your file of hands -- what an amazing range. These will be great challenges. I now want to spend some time time looking at more Rackman work. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...