Thursday, April 11, 2013

A Process Sequence that isn't working yet.

Witch sketch 4.
I'm working on a project that entails stuffing a front view of the Wicked Witch of the West's face into a circle. The final, when complete, will be in watercolor.

Witch sketch 1
When the project first arrived, I sketched, without really thinking, this small pic while sitting around in the living room. The resulting jumbled mess only enlightened me on how difficult putting a pointed hat on a head--limited by a circle--would be.

Next, I researched a few images of the old hag, from Margaret Hamilton's iconic visage in the movie, to Denslow's work, to the amazing John R. Neill illustrations for the Oz books.

 Witch sketch 2. 
Then I sketched some more. This masculine, very un-witch-like drawing was the consequence. Ugh. Certainly my fault, not that of the resources.

Witch sketch 3.
I decided to put down the research, and focused on a variety of approaches--most in very rough shorthand. This one seemed promising, until I realized that it (and the top sketch) resemble an insane morph of the Quaker Oat-man and Cotton Mather.

The Scarecrow, Cowardly Lion, and Oz the Great and Terrible were a bit easier. 
The Tin man?  Not so much. 
I'll post some of them in the near future. 

Until then, though, I'm going back to the studio--hopefully to do the Wicked lady some justice.

Thanks for reading!




2 comments:

  1. I really like witch sketch #1. Love the shading, and the slightly angled pose of the head. I think the slight angle gives the composition real energy. Great work, and good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane--I appreciate the feedback and your visit!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...