Thursday, April 4, 2013

Hamlet, Sort of


Soliloquy. Acrylic on canvas, 8" x 10". Private collection.

There is something very appealing about the stage. Not being on it, for crying out loud, but me in a safe seat, studying the stage sets, costumes, and make-up artistry. That generally gives me a bunch of new ideas. Watching the movie Amadeus, Terry Gilliam's genius-work in The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and reading Nicholas Nickleby all put the stage set for this painting in my head.
The original sketch for the main character came from my sketchbook.

The water and the curtains came from the aforementioned movies. I very much like the type of sets that look good but don't approximate contemporary ideals of reality or slick, modern special effects.
Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. Hey Tom... I love this guy. He looks like he'll put the ham in Hamlet (or maybe Lear) ;) I especially like the little sketch of him from your sketchbook.
    PS Baron Munchausen = :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit Elizabeth--best wishes on your projects!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...