Sunday, April 28, 2013

Return to Watercolor and Clocks, but a First Trip to Oz

Value control is always an issue--I find it difficult with all media, but especially when switching back and forth between watercolor and acrylic. Watercolors dry about a value lighter and acrylics dry nearly a value darker. And my brain just dries period.

Of course I squint and all, trying to see true values, but an artist friend recently suggested I use a "transparent red-something" to help. I rummaged through my father's old camera case and found this red filter. 
It's been an amazing help!  So thanks, Ruth (and thanks, Dad)!

 It also helps me to scan the work as a greyscale when I think I'm nearly finished. I can use all the help I can get.

 Here's the initial wash on the drawing--the final choice after the seventh approach. 
(approaches 1-5 here:
I used a mix of burnt sienna and burnt umber, then dropped in cerulean.

Face for Wicked Witch of the West clock (detail).
 Developed the painting with a variety of mixtures, but lots of sap green--a favorite.

I've never tried my own versions of  the Oz characters. It's been a blast! This old witch is complete, as are Cowardly Lion, Scarecrow, and Oz the Great and Terrible. Only Tin Man remains to be painted.  Then they will take their places behind glass crystals in a bunch of old clock cases--and eventually be available for sale.

You can see other, random clocks at my Pinterest page:

Thanks for your support, and for checking things out!





2 comments:

  1. yay for the transparent red thing! glad it's helping! can't wait to see the rest of the characters!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet it is--thanks again, and thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...