Monday, April 1, 2013

Thresholds



Re-opening the door, again and again.

Creativity, imagination, freedom, excitement, and the unknowns; those good and exhilarating things which are not yet, but might be.
These are all things I love. Buoyant and powerful concepts which give me some of my greatest joys as a person and as an artist, and the things that I suspect give others--many who may not consider themselves artists--some of their greatest joys.

Anxiety, fear, control, rules, the desire for certainty--for safety.  
These are the elements which can drain the color from life, and close the door to imagination. I am not immune--I fight with them constantly. Being true foes of creation, they are the enemies of my joy.


Those who value personal gain over all else, and fundamentalists--political, social, religious, academic--people who have capitulated to their fear and want to control others know that the quickest method to paralyze imagination is through anxiety.

 Historically, these are the people who have built organizations, institutions, and industries which persecute, demean, and destroy creativity. They hate, fear, imprison, and kill the prophets, artists, and visionaries who recognize that fear is the true prison and "safety" is a myth. These would-be-controllers are afraid of those who know that mankind's freedom to imagine, create, and take risks is the gift from God which brings peace and contentment.


It's pretty easy to recognize those in our lives who seek to close our doorways and bind us. When I'm feeling anxious, I look for the source. It's usually coming from someone who's trying to control me--from an ad man, a news reporter, a politician, a bishop, or a pundit--but it's not coming from a source that wishes to set me free.

When Jesus, advising against worry, asked, "...can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" and when he taught us to become like little children, he was showing us the doorway into freedom; into the "space" in which to be creators.
When Robert Kennedy said "There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why. I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" he was not stirring our anxiety, but inviting us over the threshold into our creativity. 


I'm gifting myself this spring--re-ignoring those would-be controllers, re-identifying with those who've sought to free me, and re-opening the door to a creative space.

Thanks, as always, for reading.





2 comments:

  1. I can certainly relate to this one. Spring is a great time for opening doors-- happy adventuring!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...