Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Wizard of Oz Clocks


 The Set

Being pretty obsessed with clocks and faces, making new clocks is mostly a pleasure.  Although finding good, old, non-working clocks is getting more difficult, the hunt for them is also a good time. The clock repair that will fix a burnt out electric clock is rare-to-non-existent in these parts, so I don't feel bad gutting a busted one and replacing the works with a quartz movement.

In fact, that's usually the hardest part for me--jerry-rigging is not my strong suit. Almost always, figuring out a way to get the movements attached to the clock in a stable manner takes more time than painting the faces.

Oz the Great and Terrible. Approx. 7" x 6.5"

The Scarecrow. Approx. 5" x 4"
The clocks really do have two hands--I just photographed them (unfortunately) at ten to ten.

The Cowardly Lion. Approx. 5.5" x 4.25"

 The Wicked Witch of the West. Approx. 6.25" x 5.25"

The Tin Woodsman.  Approx. 5" x 4.25". Private collection.

 I admire the John R. Neill illustrations from the Oz books, as well as the characters from the movie. Still, it's a blast to tackle the challenge of re-creating those kinds of iconic images.
I always swear I'll never do another clock after finishing a few, but that resolve has not proven out. Too fixated on timepieces and faces, I guess.
Check out a clock and face post here:

I hope you like these clocks as much as I do. At any rate, they'll soon be in my Etsy store.

Thanks for checking them out!














No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...