Wednesday, July 10, 2013

TreeMan's Looking at You

TreeMan sketch via http://tomsarmo.blogspot.com/
TreeMan sketch, graphite.

Talking trees are common in folklore, and Tolkien's Ents have become the most popular variety in recent years.  Maybe there are people who don't feel an intelligent presence while walking through a forest, but not me. Anthromorphic anythings appeal, and trees are no exception.
While on a sketching trek recently, I saw this broken tree. It wasn't much of a leap to humanize it a bit. Not usually into shading with a pencil, but it was all I had with me.

2 comments:

  1. I like all the nice silvery grays you can get with pencil shading. I always feel trees are intelligent beings watching over me -- you capture them so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to think of pencil shading--it tends to frustrates me so re-framing it might help :) Thanks for the compliment, Joy. Trees are a favorite subject so I'm happy this guy worked for you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...