Monday, August 12, 2013

On the Defensive

via http://tomsarmo.blogspot.com/2013/08/on-defensive.html
Bird Warrior (detail of wip). Mixed media, private collection.

Lately my days are filled with much practice, much experimenting, much self-doubt. In this drawing I was attempting that scared, wary, and defensive look. It's a representation of what seems to be a recent eruption/disruption in my subconscious--dreams and nightmares of conversations featuring me on the defensive have been frequent.
Also my conscious thoughts have strayed to the defensive--I have to admit feeling a bit self-justificative (is that a word?) about my career-direction choices over the past year.

Bird Warrior (detail). Mixed media.

via http://tomsarmo.blogspot.com/2013/08/on-defensive.html
Bird Warrior in progress. (Maybe should have quit here and not added color, etc?)

All these are normal and productive ruminations really, given where I find myself on this newest iteration of the art-journey. Still, it's not a particularly comfortable place (wait--has it ever been?).  At least this is my own internal struggle--I'm not having  to defend my life with sword and axe, although that seems much simpler in a way, haha!

Anyway, thanks for the visit.









2 comments:

  1. The color makes him seem a bit more determined somehow. I love black and gray and monotones, but the colors you used add so much personality -- both fear and determination are easier to read in him. I hope this determined guy helps you hack through your discomforts & nightmares & you keep creating such wonderful characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting take on the color, and I appreciate the feedback, Joy. Thanks too for the words of encouragement. The characters have seen me through much worse--I think they are here to stay. Very glad to know you like them!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...