Saturday, November 16, 2013

Fragment File

www.tomsarmo.blogspot.com
To toss or not to toss?
 
The Fish Hook Mix pic above is in my fragment file. It's an echo from my teaching days, during which my lifelines to new music were my students. They kept me updated on tune-essentials with mix discs, and in turn I supplied them with my favorites. Often they'd decorate the disc cases, so I started doing the same. This one never got finished, but I found it in the fragment file.
 
I am not a hoarder, but I keep unfinished bits in the fragment file. It's just a box on the top shelf in the studio closet, and it's nearly busting open with undeveloped bits done recently, and long ago.
 
Like a sketchbook, the box is a bit of a journal. The only problem--I don't know how old many are or even the initial impetus for some...
 
...like this smeary little photographer on tracing paper.
 
But I hang onto them, mostly because I know the "dry-days"--those absolutely uncreative times when nothing stimulates--will occur. And when leafing through books or gazing at Pinterest doesn't frack something loose, I can ink and watercolor something from the box--a piece once begun but yet unfinished.
 
 
This unfinished Humpty Dumpty maybe...
 
...or the portly-man out for a walk, drawn onto a thick piece of watercolor paper.
 
Pretty sure that it's a good idea to keep most everything I draw-- even if it's incomplete-- for now. And when I'm on my deathbed, I'll order the fragment file into the fire.
 
Thanks for checking in!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...