Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Mad March Hare


I'm fascinated with Lewis Carroll's March Hare, both  for his attitude (slightly more kind than the Hatter in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland), and his manner (as he appears as the messenger Haigha in Through the Looking Glass). Alice's first impression: (He) "kept skipping up and down, and wriggling like an eel, as he came along, his great hands spread out like fans on either side."

Since the characters in the books are highly dependent upon Tenniel's masterful portrayals, I'm not sure which inspires me the most; their descriptions or the illustrations.

As Haigha, we get this visual of the March Hare, handing the king a ham sandwich. 
The pointing toe and daintily upraised little finger show a brisk March Hare--sans the head dress of Bedlam hay he sported during the Mad Tea Party. In this scene, he says the hay is in his messenger bag!

I've been playing around with March Hare images for a long time, in anticipation of an upcoming show. Here's a detail of a recent one with hay:


Here's the same detail with color applied.

Here's another. For some reason, this one came out a bit Oswald-Rabbit-y
More wise-guy than loony-tunes? I don't know.

It's a blast to mess with him a bit, and the Hatter too. But that's for another post.

Thanks for reading!





4 comments:

  1. I love............Your work !! So glad I stumbled across it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pleased that you did too. Thanks very much for reading--and your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love your work.
    Alice in wonderland is my favorite movie. I also am obsessed with tattoos, so when stumbled across your march hair in color i fell in love. So i was just informing you that i will be getting a tattoo of your march hare. Hes so fascinating the way you drew him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Anonymous. Best wishes to you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...