Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Mining Preceding Art Works, and a Gooseberry in a Coat!

Humpty Dumpty and the Messenger, illustration by Sir John Tenniel
from Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll

Perfection.
One of my favorite illustrators is Sir John Tenniel. I ran across an essay, by Michael Hancher, about Tenniel's work habits. It is fascinating to see how the illustrator "re-purposed" older work and ideas. I suppose most artists do the same as well, but seeing these and reading the essay was a lot of fun!

Here's the cartoon from Punch which Hancher presents as the possible origin of both Humpty Dumpty and the Frog Messenger (below):

From Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

I found the discussion in a fascinating old book 
titled Lewis Carroll: A Celebration, edited by Edward Guiliano.

One of the best things about the essay? I discovered Tenniel's Gooseberry! 
I've had a passion for Eggmen as long as I can remember and, while not technically an egg, this fellow hit me square in the gut.  Look at that stance, that countenance, those expressive hands! 

Yes, perfection does exist.

Thanks for the visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...