Thursday, April 24, 2014

Scratching a Witch-Itch

A WIP http://tomsarmo.blogspot.com/
An untitled work-in-progress. Watercolor, brush and ink.

Been straining at the art too hard lately, and maybe that's why 
witches (and ghosts) have been creeping into my dreams. But the other morning I was just plain sick of keeping my nose to the grindstone.

An odd sized scrap of watercolor paper had been in the way for the past six months, so I grabbed it, threw it on the drawing table, and took a break from the works I'm supposed to be doing. No prelims, no tracing, no thumbnails; just took the pencil to the paper to see what would result. It was totally refreshing.

Not sure I love the pic, but just taking time off to indulge was good for my spirits. 
Got to do it--just play around with art once in awhile. Keeps me from taking myself too seriously, and reminds me why making art has always been requisite.

Shoot, I just noticed I inked over one of her fingers! It definitely needs some scraping and fixing.
(So does my house, but working on this is a bit more enjoyable.) 
And if I decide to put more time into it, I'll post the result later.

Thanks for checking this out!

2 comments:

  1. I love it! Very energetic and there is so much motion in it. I don't think anyone but you would notice the inked in finger -- from here is looks more like shading. Glad you got your nose off the grindstone for a bit. I fear for the characters on the awning, but that's the happiest witch I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for kind words, Joy--I really appreciate the comments. Pen shading it will be then =] (And congrats on your illustration and writing gigs!)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...