Thursday, July 24, 2014

Sketching Some Cranky Birds

http://tomsarmo.blogspot.com/
This is a detail from a sheet of fantasy birds in my sketchbook. I used pencil and Prismacolors for this guy.

My interest in birds was rekindled while watching the antics of three crows near the studio. One (a big baby, maybe?) was playing dead, trying to get the attention of the other crows I guess. It got mine--I was certain it was dead or dying. When it became obvious that the other crows could not care less and kept on walking, the "actor" jumped up and hopped after them, squawking and clacking! 

http://tomsarmo.blogspot.com/
I used marker pen and Prismacolor pencils for the others.

http://tomsarmo.blogspot.com/
The crabby woodpecker at the top is my favorite for now, although many more birds are emerging.

Thanks for checking these fellows out!




7 comments:

  1. These are great ~! Birds are such strange creatures and you've got it, hearkening back to prehistoric times. I am still trying to understand hummingbirds as they "dive bomb" each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erik--glad you like them! Yes, the strangeness of birds (maybe it is that prehistoric appearance) fascinates me. Such variety in personality, intellect, and appearance. And a single bird, like a peacock for example, can be gorgeous and menacing at the same time.

      Delete
  2. Tom, I loved hearing your stories about the crows. I used to watch the birds in my mom's back yard- begging for food while their mothers hopped around and fed them. The only thing, the "babies" were not tiny, but just as big as the moms! And talking about eating; my mom's dog, "Puppy," used to go around the yard pouncing and pulling up worms and eating them! Ewwwww....
    Thank you for sharing your creativity today. Your imagination is vivid and amazing. You have certainly been highly gifted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Gladys! Puppy was competition for the birds--he knew protein when he saw it =]

      Delete
  3. Fantastic birds-- your drawings really capture their manic energy & curious ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Curious said......

      I love them all, Tom!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Curious Art and artisjokken--I appreciate the compliments!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...