Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Birds with Teeth, Again

http://tomsarmo.blogspot.com/
 
I'm not a world traveler, not yet anyway, but I can pretty much find inspiration anywhere. Drew this sketch during a recent visit to Kansas, where we were lucky enough to find the Sternberg Museum in Hays. It is a decidedly worthwhile side trip if you're on I-70.  http://sternberg.fhsu.edu/
 

Among the many fossils, there were plenty of Plesiosaur-types. Dragons definitely come to mind, but so do birds with teeth.
 
I didn't pay much attention to the names of these dinosaurs--was too busy
photographing them for reference (and playing with Hipstamatic).
 
Nothing hits the sweet spot like bird skulls with dental issues...
 
...but this snaggle-tooth fish comes close!
 
http://tomsarmo.blogspot.com/
I scanned my initial pencil sketch and have been playing around with a variety of approaches on different papers, most of which don't have happy endings--like this one. Still, more are on the drawing table, and lots more toothy birds are developing in my sketchbook.
 
Thanks for checking this out!



7 comments:

  1. Your work is so creative and well-rendered. It's interesting to learn how you gather inspiration and reference from shapes and forms that you see, yet you let them transform as they take on your vision of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, Katherine. It must be a bit like pareidolia--seems that no matter what I see, it transforms into a creature in my head =]

      Delete
  2. I never heard that word before! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sketching natural history & turning it into unnatural creatures, so this is right up my alley! Your creature is definitely scary, but I think meeting his primordial inspiration would be equally unnerving.

    Also I love this sentence: "Nothing hits the sweet spot like bird skulls with dental issues..."!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Curious Art! It's very clear, looking at your amazing work, that you know your animals (and you know how to warp 'em most convincingly too) =]

      Delete
  4. as Katherine and Curious Art said......:)


    and your words.... "no matter what I see, it transforms into a creature in my head " are very recognizable !! So if for majority of people walking in nature or museums mean rest and relaxation for an artichoke it is just an opposite way .... :( I return home with head even more filled than empty !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Artisjokken--the perennial problem for an artist: How do we empty our heads when everything is a stimulant? But I wouldn't have it any other way. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...