Saturday, August 30, 2014

Chris Evitts: An Artist's Process

http://cevittsart.com/
The Lunatic (tentative title) by Chris Evitts

Always in awe of Chris Evitts' artwork, I saw this photo on Facebook and spontaneously commented, 
"I don't know how you do it."
Chris' response below, like his art, is classic:

well thanks tom, i do have my methods, i really take each painting as a moby dick like

 battle, sometimes the pieces don't work because of my own curses, trying to be too cute, or

 trying to be something that i am not. usually a painting 

will journey through many layers of lies

 and bullshit before the dirt settles in the right spots. 

this little painting is a great example, it

 seemed to be wallowing in these half formed characters that were distant 

and miserable rather

 than what i was hoping for, which was something more ballsy. i think the pivotal decision was

 introducing black to the pallet.  when blues were left to their 

own devices the piece couldn't seem 

to rise above morose, but once black joined the party, things got a little bit more 

edgy and grim. 

once black was in the pallet instantly my drawing improved and the drama of the man fearful

 of the moon was sealed. below is the painting that wasn't good enough, and had to go...


I love The Lunatic--actually, I covet it. Almost too much to post it for fear of someone else buying it. But that painting and Chris Evitts' words of wisdom are too inspiring to keep to myself, and way too worthy to be lost on Facebook don't you think?

Check out more of his work:


and read another post about Chris Evitts:

Thanks for checking this out!


10 comments:

  1. I met Chris some time on FB and I was immediately attracted by his drawings..... secondly, later on I discovered his paintings, his impressive portraits are really haunting me ...
    Good post, Tom, and deservedly, he earns it !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ludek. I agree that both his sketches and paintings are arresting; they attract me with their lugubrious mood and pure artistry. I would own a dozen if I could

      Delete
  2. "journey(ing) through many layers of lies..."
    Isn't that true of both art and the artist's life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely true, Miss Gladys. The trick is to allow that journey to energize rather than enervate. I have to work at it, but Chris Evitts makes it seem effortless

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this post - love hearing the artists "process" and being introduced to a new artist. My first response was watching a person dissolving into the ether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Judith--thanks for the visit and the comment. I am very glad to know you found this interesting

      Delete
  4. Glad you went ahead and shared both the painting and the description of his process! I like what he says, and find myself agreeing and thinking how my own thoughts and ideas want to evolve when I'm drawing, but I also admire that he LETS his original ideas change and grow into something else as he works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Katherine. People often don't realize how much thought--both conscious and unconscious--goes into an artwork. Thus, I love the way Evitts describes the "battle"--as well as his self-awareness. (And LETTING things change--one of my goals is making the relinquishing of control--in my art and in life-- a habit. Why is that so hard?)

      Delete
  5. Yes ~ wow ~ cool. Absolutely fascinating. I didn't even realize that (many?) visual artists destroy a lot of their own work until reading a bio. of Braque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erik. Sometimes we destroy our failures in order to keep the mass of pictures under the bed from raising the mattress =]

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...