Tuesday, September 30, 2014

A Different Figure Drawing Workshop at Foothills Art Center!

http://tomsarmo.blogspot.com/
Drawing clothed figures--or "characters" might be more accurate--is one of my favorite things,
so I'm excited to be teaching a figure drawing workshop at Foothills Art Center this fall. Not only will I deliver my figure drawing knowledge, my techniques for drawing clothing and folds will be a major part of the workshop.

My sequence for drawing most all things isn't rocket science--I developed it from studying a Famous Artist Course notebook that a friend gave me back in art school, and from studying Andrew Loomis, George Bridgeman, and others. I had to; the "just draw what you see" method did not work for me.

Roughly, my sequence follows:

This would be an early stage, after a few gesture roughs.

A middle-ish stage...

http://tomsarmo.blogspot.com/
...and the finished, clothed figure!  

This wise old lady is from a book I illustrated called The Crimson Elf: Italian Tales of Wisdom, written by the great Michael Caduto.

I'm crazy about drawing characters, and about giving them costumes, and I am dedicated to sharing my techniques.

http://tomsarmo.blogspot.com/
If you've wanted to illustrate for children's books, or simply want a fun and 
different way to approach figure drawing, please check out my class--it's three consecutive Wednesdays: October 22nd, October 29th, and November 5th, at 7 pm!

Here's the link:

Foothills Art Center is a quick 15 minute drive from Denver, 
and it would be excellent to have you join my workshop.

Thanks for reading! 

6 comments:

  1. Great guidelines here for those of us who can't attend your workshop. I love my copy of the Crimson Elf. Is it still available?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy! Yes The Crimson Elf is still in print. I need to restock, but Amazon carries it as well.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you found a way to bring those mental images of yours to life! Its true, "draw what you see" doesn't work for everyone. So glad your friend gave you the Famous Artist Course notebook. Yay! Congrats on your latest teaching workshop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss Gladys! Yes, my friend is most generous. I treasure all her gifts and continued friendship ;)

      Delete
  3. I wish I were a quick 15-minute drive from Denver! The wise old lady is an amazing illustration! The composition reminds me of W. Heath Robinson's ink illustrations. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind of you to say Laurie. I study Robinson all the time--his work is paragon

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...