Monday, December 22, 2014

A Wilde Victorian Ghost

http://tomsarmo.com/
 Canterville Ghost sketch (detail)

This first sketch was meant to be pencil-only, thinking prelim, but I kind of got carried away with it. Been working on the next poster design which will be in the same manner as the previous three, complete with a detailed border. (You can see another at http://tomsarmo.blogspot.com/2014/11/the-old-witch-part-one.html ) The Canterville Ghost--from the story by Oscar Wilde--will be the subject.

http://tomsarmo.com/
This is the ghost of Sir Simon (he's the somewhat humorous Canterville Ghost) in his rendition of "Jonas the Graveless, or the Corpse-Snatcher of Chertsey Barn". This is the whole sketch (already posted on Instagram). His awkward stance is not at all pleasing, and I'm still not settled on which of Sir Simon's disguises to feature, since all of them are gruesomely inspiring.

The back-story: I'd needed a new poster subject, and unfortunately had few ideas. But I had been mulling over the setting within a proscenium arch--or some such theater-like design for a border. Luckily, it being Christmastime and all, I had ghosts on the brain, and I recalled Wilde's wonderfully peculiar story. Sir Simon's spectre seemed a perfect fit for a stage-setting, as I love his melodramatic personality, penchant for disguises, and his creativity.
 
http://tomsarmo.com/
Another detail of the experimental sketch, which helped me with: 
The transparency of the ghost, the 15th century costume, a Victorian-style headstone (the ghost is 15th century, but he's trying to scare a Victorian family), and some other props, including the sexton's spade and a lantern.  

Next up, lots more sketches and thumbnails, crammed into the spaces between all the Christmas preparations. I'll post them after the 25th.

In the meantime, thanks for the visit. Hope your Holidays are merry, bright, and a bit haunted!

4 comments:

  1. Such a creative idea, and so interesting to learn about the story! These are great! They look already finished to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Katherine. Most times I like to look at the sketches of artists better than the end products too. If I had the money to build an art museum, it'd be filled with nothing but prelims for certain.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your consistently entertaining and inspiring blog. Love love this channeling of the Canterville Ghost. We're all haunted, I think, but your ghosts are the ones I'd like to visit me in the middle of the night. Come to think of it, they do -- on line in the middle of the night. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy. I am glad you like my blog--and the ghosts. Merry Christmas to you as well--and hope you get some sleep =]

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...