Monday, December 15, 2014

In the Bleak Midwinter

Winterabend in Fischerhude. Otto Modersohn.

Winter stirs me up, especially winter as a subject in art. And the bleaker the better!
When I saw this painting for the first time, I became an instant fan of Modersohn. It didn't hurt that he included a lonely house with orange light in the window either--also a subject of which I am enamored.

Modersohn was a co-founder of the Worpswede School
along with Heinrich Vogeler--another artist whose work has influenced me!

 Here's Modersohn ca. 1884, coming weirdly out of a dust cloud.

And another, contemporary painter of bleak winter scenes...

...Andy Fletcher. 
He knows how to paint bleak. He knows how to paint period.
Check out his works here:

and thanks for stopping by!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...