Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Value Study and A Goblin-in-Process

http://tomsarmo.com/
Value Goblin.

The photo above shows my latest project-in-process; The Cupboard Goblin. With every artwork I hope to learn more of course--and definitely appreciate that learning. 

Value control, among many art concepts, has been one of those goblins that have historically vexed me. I've always had to work hard at achieving the right amount of contrast in my illustrations, but lately have come to realize that, in part, it's the incredibly bright light I work under that has thrown me. Can't change the fact of that light-need, so some help was required. 

http://tomsarmo.com/
I've gleaned many tips to help me (with this and a crowd of other art-goblins). Some have come from books, but most have been gifts from other artists.  One that helps me with value is to Photoshop-change the color work to black and white in order to check if the value range is working.

http://tomsarmo.com/
But by far the best, and fastest, value-check-tip was given to me by my friend, the artist Ruth Fiege--this red filter. A quick peek through it is usually all I need to keep me on the right value-track. Thanks Ruth!

http://tomsarmo.com/
And then there is the absolute bargain of learning from the internet, and blogs by artists remain a staple. While waking up with coffee, I check out blogs. The artist Katherine Thomas recently posted about the value of "The Extra Hour" spent when you think your work might be finished. Before reading that, I might have contemplated my work for a bit, or futzed with it until I was satisfied, but now I'm giving it a set time period. 
Somehow, committing
to a specific time period gives me the discipline I needed to truly study whether or not the work is complete. While I may spend more than a hour in the finish, I'm working hard not to spend any less than that hour studying the piece. And it's truly helping. Thanks Katherine!

Be sure to visit Ruth Fiege's site http://ruthfiege.com/ and Katherine Thomas' blog http://katherinejft.blogspot.com/

Until next time, thanks for reading my post--hope you found it valuable!



4 comments:

  1. The drawing is great! As I was reading your post, I was nodding my head about that old goblin of value contrast. I am definitely going to try the red filter! I need to get more contrast in my colored pencil pieces, and I work under a very bright light too! I never really understood how those red filters worked, but your photos show it so clearly. I'm going over to Dick Blick to look for such a thing right now. I'm glad to know that you got something helpful from my blog in return! Thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome--I appreciate the things I learn from your blog, Katherine. Thanks very much for the compliment on my drawing. Just "finished"--I'm doing the extra hour with it today. Best wishes!

      Delete
  2. That red filter is a great idea, Tom. I usually just take the piece outside to look at it in natural light, but this is handy, too. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found this somewhat helpful, Ted--I'll try your natural light technique as well. I will pretty much try anything that increases my chances of a successful work!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...