Tuesday, February 9, 2016

More Sketching with Scarlet

http://tomsarmo.blogspot.com/
When artists say they are "self-taught", I've heard they mean they've not been to college or art school. And if that makes them feel superior, well they must need that. Still, the label is foolish and full of pretense; I am happy to learn from everything and everyone I can, and to acknowledge the debt.
 
http://tomsarmo.blogspot.com/
 As I wrote in a recent post*, lately I began sketching with a scarlet Colerase pencil--learning of the technique from a fellow illustrator. Even though too many Colerase pencils have those hard, gritty things within the lead core, they are wonderfully freeing when you find a good one. I can throw down a gesture with the red, and then go into it with graphite, pen, or both--whatever seems to work.
 
http://tomsarmo.blogspot.com/
Done quite a few years ago, this acrylic painting has the scarlet under-painting technique I learned from a fellow painter. It has the same effect as the Colerase pencil in a way; the red paint here adds flash and life to the work.

https://tomsarmo.blogspot.com
Now I need to go back into the sketchbook and finish some of these.

If I was self-taught, I'd still be drawing and painting the way I did when I was four; with a number two pencil on bond paper, or dragging out the Sparkle-Paint set.

Thanks for reading!


 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. The phrase "self-taught" has always annoyed me, too. It seems to be either bragging or apologizing and I don't care for either one! I like this technique of sketching with red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right, Laurie; it's either-or, haha! Yes the red-sketching is a blast. I've lately tried it with a medium-point fountain pen full of red ink, and it was pretty nice with black cross-hatching over it. You would enjoy that I know :)

      Delete
  2. I'm not a blog follower. But I love reading yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that compliment--I appreciate it, and your readership, too, C. Diane Petrie!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...