Thursday, January 19, 2017

More Border Designs and Influences

 Border Design, acrylic.
As promised in a post a few weeks ago--more borders!

This one actually has a subject within the proscenium, but I've removed it for this post. Been working on a crop of new pieces, and this is one of them. I like imperfect, almost-symmetry much more than the opposite.

Antique toy theaters are definitely an influence, and some of my strongest childhood memories are of going to the old theaters in Denver--before most were torn down--and looking at the amazing plaster and tile decorations.

Book covers used to have great designs--I like to hunt in old bookstores and antique shops, and photograph them.

And there's always the internet.

This is a border--the interior also removed--done for a show at Helikon Gallery...
...and the amazing Sendak artwork (from his Nutcracker) that inspired it.
Old engravings, like this book plate by P. Voight, are also great catalysts for new works.

This owl, a fragment of a larger acrylic work, sits atop a clutch of oak leaves.
Leaving you with one of my favorites; a watercolor border that in fact holds a Cupboard Goblin instead of my watermark.

I could go on and on, but that's plenty. If you missed the previous Borders post, here's the link:
Borders Part One

Thanks, as always, for your interest and support of my work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...