Tuesday, October 17, 2017

DIY Artwork Bags

Recently read about a company that made carrying bags for artwork, and they sounded great.

Especially because this photo illustrates my usual method for carting artwork to galleries and conventions.
I struggle philosophically with using petroleum-based plastics, and bubble-wrap and foam cost a lot too. After one or two wraps, it's torn and fit only for the trash. And that's a tough one for me to justify. Plus it takes copious amounts of time to wrap, unwrap, and re-wrap artworks.
 
Unfortunately, when I checked out the pre-made art-bags, I found them very expensive--upwards from $20 per bag. I figured making them myself would be easy and cheaper. And it was both.
 
Luckily, awhile back I took a sewing-machine class in order to make cloth goblins.

So I bought $30 worth of thick felt (made from recycled plastic bottles) and made 30 carry bags of different sizes. It took 6 yards of fabric.

I'm not fast at sewing, and it still only took me 5 hours to make all the bags. They work great! I'm sure a crafty-er person could add string-ties or other fasteners and make these even better. But for now, all I have to do is slip the artworks in, fold the top, put them in boxes, and take them away.

Still have to depend on bubble wrap and foam for shipping artworks, but these bags are great for a more ecological, quick, and safe way to deliver paintings to their destinations.

Thanks for reading!

 





5 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I especially love your cloth goblin. Would you please write a blog post about the process of making them or if you already have, direct me to it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather--thanks for the comment! I had done some posts about the stuffed goblins a few years back, but the pictures have all been removed. Not sure I ever did a step-by-step process though. I will dig up some photos of the stuffed fellows (haven't made any for some time) and write up the process as soon as possible :)

      Delete
  2. great idea, Tom! I will try it although I am not as good as you in operating a sewing machine .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LT--Go ahead and give it a try. Sewing machines work better when the operator has a good glass of red wine close by :)

      Delete
    2. ha ha . Good fuel..... let's try it ! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...