Thursday, March 16, 2017

Preliminary Sketches

I'm working away at a bunch of paintings for an upcoming solo show at Helikon Gallery.
One of my favorite ways to relax away from the studio is adding pen-work to my preliminary sketches for those paintings.

 The original prelims are most often loose, red-pencil drawings on toned paper. I do a bunch, and they simply help me in thinking out compositions.

But when hanging out at home, I like to sit on the couch, pull out one of the preliminary sketches, and then apply outline and value using a brush pen, white highlights, and pen and ink. It's meditative (like fishing!) and a great way to unwind from a day at the studio.

 You'll be able to check out all the prelims and finished art this coming June at the show, and I hope you'll join me!
 
And thanks for checking out my blog :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...